* Original dated: Mar 12 '97, 10:21

From: Heikki Hannikainen <hessu at pspt.fi>
To:   Giles Warham <giles at g7tgr.demon.co.uk>

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, Giles Warham wrote:

> I used to configure my firewall to do masq. on all forwarding, but have
> since found this to cause problems when playing with ipip tunnels - i want
> the machines on my subnet 192.168.2.* to be accessible on g7szb's network
> 10.0.0.*.  I have tinkered with my firewall to make it only masq packets
> forwarded from my ethernet, but ran into a problem...

  This isn't actually a solution for your problem, but you and others
might be interested:

  There's an unexpected feature in the implementation of the firewall and
the tunnel devices. An IP packet is checked against the forwarding
firewall rules before it is sent to the tunnel device. But the tunnel
device sends out the encap packets via the ip forwarding function, which
checks the resulting packet against the forwarding rules again.

  This struck me, when i was trying to use the forwarding rules to block
anything except amprnet packets:

/sbin/ipfwadm -F -p reject
/sbin/ipfwadm -F -i accept -S 44.0.0.0/8 -D 44.0.0.0/8

  Which obviously blocked the ip packets sent by the ipip tunnel device.
Quite unexpected, before looking at the source code. Of course, one can
come around this one by inserting a rule:

/sbin/ipfwadm -F -i accept -S ethernet-interface-address -D 0.0.0.0/0

  This 'feature' could be surprising you or your masquerading rules... and
will probably surprise lots of people running amprnet gateways using
radio.

---
 < Heikki Hannikainen      <> ax.25:   oh7lzb at oh7rba.#kuo.fin.eu >
 < Internet: hessu at pspt.fi <> Amprnet: oh7lzb at gw.oh7rba.ampr.org >