NFS Windows/Linux

John Chambers wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 JC> : ps gawux | grep nmbd
 JC> jc    16735  0.0  2.3  102  348 ppa S  20:45 0:00 grep nmbd
 JC> root  16732  0.9  2.9   87  440  ?  S  20:45   0:00
 JC> /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D

 JC> So it looks like nmbd is running.  Similarly, smbd  is  also
 JC>  running. They  are getting started from an /etc/startsmb
 JC> script.  I haven't yet seen any hints that inetd could do
 JC> the job, and there's no instance of "smb"  in
 JC> /etc/inetd.conf, so I guess it isn't being started that way.
 JC> I have to remember to run /etc/startsmb after a boot, which
 JC> is ok  for now  because there's nothing that depends on it
 JC> (since there's nothing that deigns to talk to it on the W95
 JC> machine ;-).

 JC> Any other clues that I should check out?

A standard installation of Samba -- per the Debian package, for example -- will
configure it from inetd.  The documentation with Samba explains the options of
doing it this way.  I strongly recommend using at least the tcpd wrapper where
you can as a basic security measure, unless you intend your Samba resources to
be publicly accessible.

Check the logs somewhere under /var.  You often get fairly useful information
about what the deamons are seeing this way, especially if you start them with
an appropriate command line switch to boost the logging level.

-- Mike