LILO problems with new IDE & BIOS configs

Hi,

I'm in the throws of installing a new hard drive so that I can cleanly
upgrade from my Slackware distribution (ker 1.2.13) to Debian (ker 2.0.2x).

My system:
- Micron PCI motherboard with Intel Pentium 90Mhz CPU, 2 IDE buses
- PhoenixBIOS 4.04, Intel Plug & Play BIOS Extensions 1.2
- current Slackware distribution on /dev/sda (SCSI 1)
- LILO boot loader on /dev/hda (IDE0) - the rest of hda has Win95

I've installed a new Seagate 31270 1.2gb IDE drive as the IDE0 *slave*.
My problem is as follow:

I can boot Linux (via LILO) fine when the new drive is installed, but
only if it is NOT configured in the BIOS.  From there, I was able to run
fdisk and mke2fs on the new 1.2gb drive.  If I configure the new slave
IDE drive in BIOS (which will be necessary if I want to boot a Linux
kernel with LILO), then LILO just hangs at "LI".

The new drive is configured in BIOS for LBA, and my 'large disk access
mode' is configured as "OTHER" instead of DOS.  As far as I can tell,
this is all correct.

Any ideas?  I've poked through lots of postings via DejaNews, and read
through the mini-Howto for Large-Disks, but did not learn anything very
useful...  I'm not too keen on booting from floppy, so I'd like to stick
with LILO if possible.

Thanks,
Eric

Eric J. Hansen .................................. mailto:eric at worldmachine.com