viewing PDF (Acrobat) files on Linux?

> Is there any sort of viewer or translator that will allow one to view a
> .pdf (Adobe Acrobat) file?  I actually emailed Adobe many months back,
> and asked them about the possibility of a Linux port for Acrobat.  They
> [surprisingly] responded, and said that "there were no plans for one".
> Perhaps the specs for the format are published somewhere, though, and
> a non-Adobe program could (or has) been written.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric
> --
> Eric J. Hansen .................................. mailto:eric at worldmachine.com
> Worldmachine Technologies Corporation ............ http://www.worldmachine.com

The "official" Adobe(R) Acrobat(R) Reader v3.0 is available at
http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/lindnld.html
xpdf, a free pdf viewer is also available - I think it predates acroread v3.0
though. It certainly is a lot faster. Here's the entry on xpdf from the linux
software map (http://www.boutell.com/lsm)

xpdf

     Version: 0.5
     Entered-date: 23MAY96
     (These are also sometimes also called 'Acrobat' files, from the name of
     Adobe's PDF software.) Xpdf runs under UNIX or VMS and the X Window
     System. Xpdf is designed to be small and efficient. It does not use the
Motif or
     Xt libraries. It uses standard X fonts. Xpdf is quite usable on a 486-66
PC
     running Linux.
     also: See also:
     http: http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/usr/dn0o/xpdf/xpdf.html