calling for agenda items... [rev 1]

WRT: SigNet.org, inc. If there are any specific questions that should be
asked, send them to me, and I will try to have a difinitive answer for
tomorrow night.

There are issues:
If a user group joins SigNet.org, Inc, it becomes part of the corporation. As
a non-profit, the checking account must be maintained by the corporation.
Individual user groups would not be able to have their own checking accounts.
This is a legal thing.

If a user group joins SigNet.org, Inc, and later decides to withdraw,
distribution of assets back to that user group could only occur when that user
group incorporates as a non-profit. Again, this is a legal issue. It is also
one reason why the BCS could not give up any of its assets to BLU, CONE, or
any other successor group.

One issue that should be approached is the domain name. Legally, SigNet.org,
inc. would own the BLU domain name.

It is the intent of SigNet.org, inc. to preserve the assets of a joining user
group. Also, it is the intent of Signet.org, inc. to allow  any of its user
groups to earn money, and to spend its funds. There would need to be some
controls to prevent abuse and violation of non-profit status. I don't think
that BLU has any problem here.

Someone brought up the issue of entity. Under the normal plan, the individual
user group would lose its status as an entity as far as the state and federal
governments are concerned, but would still be viewed as such by SigNet.

I can pose any question on the Signet-admin mailing list, and porbably get a
response from Warren Agin or Andy Updegrove fairly quickly.

Also, on Agenda 7, what is the alternative to SigNet,org,inc. What is the cost
of non-profit incorporation to BLU? Remember, you also have IRS issues and
some legal fees. Some of these are annual. Right now, BLU is set up as a
for-profit business. The only way you can obtain non-profit status is to file.
It takes about 8 months for the initial IRS filing (according to Andy
Updegrove).
Jerry Feldman            Digital Unix Development Environment
Digital Equipment Corp.  (work)gaf at zk3.dec.com (home)gaf at highway1.com
110 Spitbrook Rd.        Mailstop: ZKO3-2/W17
Nashua, NH 03062-9987    (603)881-2970, DTN:381-2970