Does Linux support DHCP

I have been running my Linux system on Highway one for several weeks and the IP number stays the same. The lease is scheduled to expire in December of 1997 however there is some keep alive provision in the DHCP protocol but so far so good.

I ran Windows95 to get the IP number, use winipcfg from the DOS prompt.

Steve Ludlum   Conley Corporation   sludlum at conley.com

-----Original Message-----
From:	Jerry Feldman [SMTP:gaf at zk3.dec.com]
Sent:	Monday, January 27, 1997 2:40 PM
To:	discuss at tarnhelm.blu.org
Subject:	Re: Does Linux support DHCP

> At 10:26 AM 1/27/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >Has anyone out there used DHCP to obtain IP addresses. DHCP is a Microsft
> >rpotocol to dynamically assign IP addresses to a client. Has anyone
> >implemented it in Lunux yet.
>
> No no no no Microsoft didn't invent it.
In a meeting last year, a senior executive from Microsoft claimed that
Microsoft developed the DHCP protocol.

> There's a DHCP server written by someone in Japan that runs on Linux.  I
> don't think there are any clients but since the code is Net3 it shouldn't
> be hard.

> Highway1 won't give you an ip number, eh?
Actually, I am not so sure. Since the system is set up to be connected 24 hours/day, I effectively have a permanent (kind of) IP address. As long as you keep the cable modem online, the IP address seems to persist. Since I have no meetings this week (that I am planning on attending), I should have some time to play with the net.
Jerry Feldman            Digital Unix Development Environment
Digital Equipment Corp.  (work)gaf at zk3.dec.com (home)gaf at highway1.com
110 Spitbrook Rd.        Mailstop: ZKO3-2/W17
Nashua, NH 03062-9987    (603)881-2970, DTN:381-2970