meeting wednesday night - agenda bash(1)

I think the install fest went well considering. We need to make sure we
qualify systems in advance. HoJos was a good place to do it because of the
proximity to MicroCenter. Next time, we should get more publicity.

I think what might be missing from the agenda is meeting planning. It seems
that the group tends to figure out who the next speaker is going to be after
the last meeting. The problem here is getting the word out in advance. We
should announce the next meeting during the regular meeting. Maybe even
prepare handouts for the next meeting. Then, announce the upcoming meeting and
topic about 1 week in advance. Send it out to newsgroups and a few related
mailing lists. (RedHat has a couple of mailing lists).

--- WRT: NetDay - This would be a good joint project with ISIG, webtech and
Web-Net.
         Does BLU have the resources to do a good job by itself.

>    DO WE WANT HEADHUNTERS TO ATTEND MEETINGS?
IMHO, NO, but they use these meetings to network with people. In contrast, Su
Jamthe kind of sees her group as helping people get jobs. What we need to do
is to get a stable attendance base. I don't think we really have been able to
settle into a real focus for the group.

Lastly, we need to start to think seriously about what we are going to do with
the Linux fest. We have no money, no credit. We have Linus coming to town, so
we know that we can get a big draw. I think that Kathleen Lynch's acceptance
to run this is excellent. Maybe what we need to look at is what we can do.
Some ideas:
1. small show, maybe at Umass/Boston - we might be able to get some funding
from
   vendors.
2. Seminars at the shows.
   a. Linux Install
   b. A limited attendance Linus / Maddog and pony show.
3. Do we want to work with other groups and share revenues and risks.

In my experience, running a small show at UMB is still a lot of work and
planning. You've got to rent tables, table covers, security, etc. Invite
vendors. (BTW: make sure all vendors are prepaid. They will stiff you.).

Jerry Feldman            Digital Unix Development Environment
Digital Equipment Corp.  (work)gaf at zk3.dec.com (home)gaf at highway1.com
110 Spitbrook Rd.        Mailstop: ZKO3-2/W17
Nashua, NH 03062-9987    (603)881-2970, DTN:381-2970