                mark j. soule
---- Begin Forwarded Message
ixmail1.ix.netcom.com (8.7.5/SMI-4.1/Netcom)
(8.8.4/8.7.3) with SMTP id QAA09646; Sun, 12 Jan 1997 16:07:18 -0500
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 16:07:18 -0500 (EST)
From: David C Niemi <niemi at wauug.erols.com>
To: mark soule <msoule at ix.netcom.com>
cc: "Samuel S. Chessman" <chessman at wauug.erols.com>
Subject: Re: Meta-LUG Naming Question

On Sun, 12 Jan 1997, mark soule wrote:

>     HI David;
>
>         Let me ask you a question or two regarding this linux
> collaboration.  What do you envision the advantages to forming and
> "east coast/mid-atlantic" semi-group are?  What would the mission
> statement be?  Why do we want to form this group?

My intentions are simply to expand the scope of the existing DC area
groups, which are tied together mostly by cooperation on Installfests
and
by use of the linux.wauug.org server.  There are doubtless other
advantages
to a larger organization which is still a bit more regional than, say,
LI.
The leap from local user groups to a worldwide organization is a bit
too
large.

>     My first impressions are it'd be a great way to talk with other
> like (right) minded people and open up visitation rights.  For
instance
> at our meeting wednesday night we discussed future meetings and
topics
> and especially speakers.  There was general agreement that our
> community is getting tired of hearing from the same group of expert
> speakers.  Maybe this will lead to some venturing outside our group
> maybe not.
>
>     What do you think?

I think trading speakers from tie to time is a good idea.  Boston to
Bethesda is a bit of a hike, but I for one do have relatives to visit
in
Boston sometime, and perhaps your speakers find themselves here
occasionally.  I can ask Donald Becker and Eric Youngdale if they have
any
plans to be up there (but we have also had excellent talks from much
less-known people).

Definitely sharing information and keeping track of each other makes a
lot
of sense.  So far Ma-Linux is not that formal or well-defined; we
should
probably talk to Philadelphia and New York groups before going too far
down
the road.

David
Niemi at linux.wauug.org      703-810-5538     Reston, Virginia, USA