location of BLU mailing lists

| From mit-eddie!tarnhelm.blu.org!blu.org!owner-discuss Sun Jan 12 03:46:49 1997
| To: announce at tarnhelm.blu.ORG
| Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 04:30:05 -0500
| From: John Abreau <jabr at tarnhelm.blu.ORG>

Just out of curiosity, I thought I'd look into how one would go  about
unsubscribing  and  then resubscribing with a different email address.
This could be necessary  when  someone's  email  address  changes  (as
happened to a lot of people with bcs.org addresses recently).

The obvious thing to do is to send in  an  unsubscribe  from  the  old
email address, plus a subscribe from the new.  I found that I couldn't
do the unsubscribe, because there is no  apparent  way  to  tell  what
email  address  is  used  for  me  on  the mailing list.  In fact, the
characters "jc" didn't even occur anywhere in the headers  of  several
message I got recently via the linux-sig or the new discuss lists. The
editor also couldn't find any of the machine names that are likely  to
be  in  whatever  email address I may have sent in in the distant past
("minya" and "eddie" in my case).

Presumably  the  majordomo  software has some safeguards to prevent me
from unsubscribing random other people; I'd guess  that  I'd  have  to
send  in an unsubscribe from an email address that passes some sort of
minimal match against what's in majordomo's file.  But  there  doesn't
seem  to  be  any  clue  in  the messages as to what address they were
actually sent (forwarded) to in my case.

So would this have to be done by a real live human at your end?  Or is
there some way to ask majordomo what email address it has for me?

Also, looking forward to the day that  (as  has  happened  before)  my
current email path stops working without warning:  Is there a way that
I could tell majordomo "My old address of jc at foo.bar.com is no  longer
valid, and should be replaced with jc at xyz.org"?  (It's not obvious how
this might be implemented in such a  way  that  I  couldn't  similarly
hijack  other  people's subscriptions by redirecting them to some poor
unsuspecting soul over at aol.com, for instance.  :-)