FIPS and win95...

Alec_X wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 AX> Hi guys, i kinda need some help here...
 AX> I just installed Red Hat Linux 4 on my computer and it works
 AX> great.  The problem is, I used FIPS to repartition my drive,
 AX> and now win95 doesn't recognize the extra partition( ext2
 AX> partition... )
 AX> I thought that if i reinstalled win95 to the same directory,
 AX> it would run normally, but now my registry is a little
 AX> messed up, and all my preferences are gone.  How can i do to
 AX> make the partition visible to windows? i doesn't need to be
 AX> readable, just visible in a way it won't conflict with the
 AX> registry...

 AX> I also installed LILO in the MBR, so now i have the choice
 AX> of OS at the boot...

 AX> Linux is working just fine, Xwindows is functioning
 AX> perfectly, but i still couldn't configure my network
 AX> settings, although i could connect to my ISP, i didn't have
 AX> a DNS configured, but could ftp and telnet to any IP, the
 AX> browser didnt work though.

 AX> i have a 133 pentium, 16 RAM, 1.2 HD.
 AX> /dev/hda1   win95 partition      900+ Megs
 AX> /dev/hda2   linux_native   ext2   250+ Megs

 AX> could someone help me out???

 AX> i appreciate any help i can get...
 AX> I REALLY dont want to reformat my HD and reinstall
 AX> EVERYTHING. Thanx.

You're toast.  I think you have two options:

1. Reinstall Windows 95 and let it update the registry with the correct drive
letters.  You will then have to reinstall lilo, since Windows 95 will overwrite
and deactivate lilo.

2. Reformat the Linux partition as FAT/umsdos and reinstall Linux.  There is no
way to get Windows 95 to assign a drive letter to an ext2fs partition.

-- Mike