Cyric CPU's

On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Richard Royston wrote:

> Do you have any recomendations/experience with systems using Cyrix CPU's?
> There's an article in the Dec 96 issue of Unix Review that reports that
> WinNT needs to disable the write back cache and use write through cache
> instead, in order to run on Cyrix CPU's without crashing.  Any information
> or pointers to information would be appreciated.  Thanks.

1.  The report about Windows NT is true.  The released version of NT 4.0
does it automatically, so you take a performance hit.

2.  Cyrix is still working on the problem.  They're trying to create a
software patch.  Meanwhile, they have said they will replace the CPU of
anyone who asks with a newer, fixed version.  (They saw what happened to
Intel, after all.)

3.  There is no evidence that the problem that Microsoft claims to have
found has any effect on Linux.