Debian 1.1.4 Cannot extract gcc???

Robert Luoma wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 RL> I recently got one of the Walnut Creek CDROM sets and tried to
 RL> load the Debian 1.1.4 distribution. While the base set loaded,
 RL> I ran into a maze of conflicts with dselect. In particular, gcc
 RL> and cpp conflicted; I could not get the two to load and dselect
 RL> stubborn refused to proceed no matter what I did.

I didn't have any problems with this under whatever Debian 1.1.x is on the
InfoMagic set.  I would think that cpp is required for gcc, anyway.

I know that Susan G. Kleinman (sgk at tiac.net) is the maintainer of some of the
Debian packages, so perhaps she will have some insight.

 RL> Is there a way to salvage this situation (so that I get a
 RL> working gcc)?  How have others handled the rather contrary
 RL> nature of dselect?

You can override the recommendations from deselect if you want.  You can also
manually run the dpkg utility; dselect is nothing more than a front end for it.

 RL> (What happened to the Elmers?)

"Elmers?"  I've never heard that term except in a ham radio context.

-- Mike