prom programmers on linux?

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Robert Luoma wrote:

> Has anyone used a prom programmer directly from linux?

Not me.

> Basically, what are the options (either standalone units
> [how is the data transfered]) or PC based?

The standalone intelligent PROM programmers I'm familiar with have serial
interfaces.  You load binary images in some old-fashioned hexadecimal
format into them (probably the same format that was used with 70s vintage
microprocessor debugging systems).  These things have microprocessors in
them that handle all the details of programming the chips.  They tend to
cost big bucks.  Some only handle EPROMs; some can accept all sorts of
programmable devices, though this usually involves adding expensive
options.

PC-based ones are either cards that plug into ISA slots or connect to a
parallel port.  Both types are basically stupid buffers/voltage translators
that depend on PC software to do the dirty work of programming.  In
theory, you could write a Linux program to do the programming, but I
haven't heard of any.  I wouldn't recommend trying to run the DOS
programs under DOSEMU, because timing is critical; it's important to
control the length of the programming pulses sent to the PROMs, and
that's done by the software.  These dumb programmers are relatively cheap
($100-200 new), and most only handle EPROMs, not old-technology
fusible-link PROMs or other devices such as PALs.  Some accept optional
adapters to program microcontrollers.

It's probably simpler to just keep a small DOS partition around, and run
the programming code there.  Or if you can't stand to have to reboot your
Linux system, use an old XT to drive the programmer.