DEC Alphas for Firstnight Boston?

> The problem at the commercial provider last year (BBN Planet) was that
> their server folded under the load, not that they ran out of bandwidth.
> The question is how solid the server software itself is under heavy
> load.  Few sites have been tested under the sort of load that the First
> Night server got.

Oh, yeah... Load Testing... forgive me while I muse out loud...

Any suggestions for load testing?

Firstnight may have some options for server-side processing:

  - CGI under Apache   (Linux, Irix(?))
  - CGI under Netscape (Irix)
  - Apache Modules     (Linux, Irix(?))
  - NSAPI modules      (Irix)

Irix would be on SGI Challengers, if NYNEX comes through with them.
Linux will be on Alphas, which Dreamcom already runs, and folks here
have come through with leads on more Alphas.

It would be really to see how all these things perform well before the
storm hits.  (Plus I really wanna see how Linux stacks up)

Just for hoo-ha's we could run the same tests on NT.... and post the
results...

Cheers,

    -r