Installing X

With all the disruption with the BCS, we're still talking about Linux
problems, right?

I've gone back to trying to get X running on my PC at work. Here's what it's
got:
- Gateway P5-133
- ATI CT Mach64 (Gateway's name for the card)
  When I first got the machine, an ATI rep told me (via email) what
  the card _really_ was, and I forget. After looking at the ATI WWW site,
I'm 90%
  sure it's a WinTurbo with 2MB DRAM.
- Gateway Vivitron 17
  A sticker on the back says it's a Sony CPD-17F23

Right now, I'm just looking for the modeline info for this monitor. I've
looked at all the modeDB and Monitors files I could find, and didn't see
anything for this monitor, probably because it's fairly new. The X doc says
you can use a monitor that's "close", but what the f%$k is "close"? And yes,
I could figure out all this stuff myself, but right now I'm being pretty lazy.

Tha manual doesn't give me much, but probably enough:

Resolution-    1280x1024
Horiz scan-    31.5 - 64 KHz
Vert scan -    50 - 120 Hz

There is also a table that shows the 7 factory preset modes the monitor has.
In addition to these 7, I can have up to 10 user defined modes. The monitor
then detects what frequency it's receiving and chooses the right mode. Huh?

Here's the table:

640 x 480        31.47KHz       59.94Hz           VGA
640 x 480        37.5           75                VESA
720 x 400        31.47          70                DOS
800 x 600        46.875         75                VESA
1024 x 768       48.363         60                VESA
1024 x 768       60.023         75.029            VESA
1280 x 1024      63.95          60                VESA

So, questions:

1. Shoot for the moon first: Does anybody have a similar hardware setup? If
so, what's your XF86Config?

2. Any modeline data on this monitor? Any other ideas where to look? Is
there a database somewhere that gets updated occasionally with new monitors?

Dan "I'm new to this stuff" Murphy

Dan Murphy                 Email: murph at vmark.com
VMARK Software             Voice: 508-366-3888 x3213
Westboro, MA 01581         Fax:   508-366-3669