<fwd>Linus has a real job.

From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds at cs.Helsinki.FI>
On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Jim Nance wrote:

> > I'll be leaving for a week in the US this Sunday (househunting), and quite
> > frankly I'd like to get the five "critical" points above fixed first. The
> > "small but many" things (adding error checking) will probably have to wait
> > until I get back.  They are important too, but they aren't _fundamental_
> > important, if you get my drift.
>
> Are you moving to the US?  You didn't go and get a job did you?

Ok, folks, DON'T PANIC.

[ inline: Linus running around in circles and tearing his hair out ]

Now, it had to be told some day. I have a life. There. I did it. I came out
of the closet. It's sad, it's shocking, but it's true. I even have a
girlfriend [ collective GASP ], and it all adds up to the fact that it had to
happen sooner or later. I'm getting a RealJob(tm).

[ inline: Linus frantically trying to explain that a university position is
  _too_ a real job, while everybody else just stands around and laughs at
  him. Is too! ]

I thought I'd be subtle and tell it to the mailing lists first. The idea was
that the mailing list people would tend to be saner than most people who read
the newsgroups and not panic too badly.  Well, that was a theory of mine, but
maddog tells me the stampede already started. Bad theory.

Again, DON'T PANIC. It's not the end of the world. It's not the end of me
doing Linux. Unlike my current job at the university (and that _is_ a real
job, you just never noticed. is too!) the new job description will even
explicitly say that I'll be doing Linux part time.

So yes, I'll be in the Bay Area next week looking for a place to live with my
girlfriend and our two cats. We won't actually move there until February next
year or so.

Oh, did I already mention that you shouldn't panic? I did? Good. Don't.  It
all just means that I'll be living in the US for a while, and making more
money than I am at the university and doing so in better weather.

		Linus

PS. Company called Transmeta. Don't bother looking them up, they aren't
advertising. They are in the business of getting the best minds in the
industry and doing cool things that I won't tell you about. Not selling
Linux, so it's not unfair competition in that field.

- --
To unsubscribe: mail -s unsubscribe axp-list-request at redhat.com < /dev/null

------- End of Forwarded Message