Linux/Unix Group structure

John Abreau wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 JA> * Basic membership: free, open to all
 JA> We'd require that people actually become members, but at no
 JA> cost for the basic membership.

 JA> * Sponsoring membership: an annual fee
 JA> Sponsoring members would be listed on our web pages. We
 JA> could provide other perks for sponsoring members, such as
 JA> email forwarding, and/or space
 JA> for a personal web page.

 JA> The main revenue source for the group would be classes. It
 JA> might make sense to also have a "Corporate Sponsor" class.

Speaking as someone who has served as an officer of numerous such
organizations, you're plain nuts to do this with a free class of membership. I
understand the motivation, but my experience is that the vast majority of
people simply will not do anything unless you ask them, but most are quite
happy and willing when asked.  Most organizations of this kind have annual dues
on the order of at least $5 or $10, and this sort of minimal fee makes possible
a whole lot of other things that could not be done otherwise.

You want to have meetings and teach classes.  Many facilities are perfectly
willing to donate space to do such things, but will require that your
organization have some legal status such as incorporation and insurance.  My
amateur radio club, for example, cannot even use state land such as parks
without proof of insurance, although the state does not charge a fee.  When we
set up informational booths in shopping malls, the only condition is that we
provide proof of insurance.  When we held a flea market in the gymnasium of a
private school, all they wanted was proof of insurance.

How are you going to pay for the insurance?

-- Mike