Conection to ISP and other issues...

> xwindows( i still can't run it in a res. better than 640x480, with a
> virtual screen of 800x600, because i foundout that the only server that
> is gonna take advantage of my Matrox Millenium is a commercial server...
> >From Xinside, if someone out there has a better way out of this, please
> let me know...).

You can help code an X server. Matrox just released information.
They were the main feature of a discussion crossposted to _many_
newsgroups. The subject was "Re: Why not to buy a Matrox Millenium",
so I guess they were not pleased with the publicity.

> How do i connect to my ISP?  I read the HOW-TOs and followed the
> instructions step by step, but still, when i connect to the ISP
> computer and give my login and password i try to launch the pppd,
> but it cuts the connection, and if i try it alone, it does not dial...

Start minicom and turn on capture. Dial your provider, start ppp, and
then hang up. Use the capture file to generate a chat script to start
the connection automatically.

> About the sound, thats a hole new story, i'll try to fix it after i
> can get my internet connection working. Another quick question...

You just recompile your kernel with sound support. Not hard, but you
must know the IRQ/DMA/IO settings for your card. After the compile,
your kernel will be /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage. Use that
in the batch file you start Linux from.

> Why doesn't linux recognize long filenames from Win95?

It can do that _or_ it can use the umsdos trick. If you have a second
partition or disk somewhere, you can mount it as vfat instead of umsdos.
With only one partition, you must use umsdos.

> and why after i download a file using win95, i can't run it in
> linux (considering that i already tryed to download netscape for
> linux, and it didn't work...)

To avoid file corruption:
  You must set binary mode for the FTP transfer.
  You must send the file as binary data.

After you get the file w/o corruption, you must make it executable:
chmod 755 netscape

If it still won't run, use "file" to make sure it is an executable
of the same type as your /bin/bash executable.