Networking

On Mon, 16 Sep 1996, Ronald Mourant wrote:

> 	I would like to use linux for a small network consisting of
>
> 	1. An old Mac II
> 	2. Apple LaserWriter IINT printer (Connected via LocalTalk
> 		to the Mac II)
> 	3. A 486 DX2 with linux installed.
> 	4. A pentium pro 200 with NT installed.
>
> 	I would appreciate some help on how to do this. Thanks.

Main hint that I can offer: the Mac II will have to be put on an
Ethernet, which means that you may have to add a NuBus or SCSI interface
to it.  Linux does not have any LocalTalk support.  You can then use
netatalk to serve up Linux files to the Mac.  To make the Laserwriter
available on the Ethernet, you will want to install Laserwriter Bridge
(available from Apple's FTP site) on the Mac.

As for the NT system, you can use samba to make Linux files available to
it.  Make sure to run a current version.  You can also install the kernel
support for smb file systems to allow Linux to see NT files.  Say yes to
experimental/development stuff, and you'll get the option of enabling
long filename support.

You'll want to use a 2.0.x kernel to make this all work; the AppleTalk
kernel support is now part of the primary source tree, so you won't have
to deal with separate kernel patches.