GNHLUG Meeting for 9/11/96

------- Forwarded from gnhlug at zk3.dec.com

Subject:Two additional topics for discussion at the meeting
Hello,

In addition to the planned festivities this Wednesday at 1900 hours, I would
like to bring two issues to your attention.

The first is "NetDay96", an effort to get schools wired for the network across
the United States.  You can find out more about this effort at
(http://www.netday96.com).  It has been suggested that knowledgable Linux
people could help with the wiring, and suggestions about how Linux might be
used in a school to act as a firewall, print server, mail router, web server,
etc. as well as just helping with the "grunt work" of stringing cable while
wearing a Linux T-shirt and discussing the benefits (and limitations) of our
favorite operating system.

The second is one that I have had a while, and have been thinking about, but it
ties in with the above.  Dr. Lee Rothstein, of Veritech, has been working with
NITT to try to get training on the Internet to grade-school teachers,
librarians and others.  This past year they trained 380 teachers and libarians
in New Hampshire about the Internet.  Now he wishes to train network
administrators at the various schools.  However, the training that is given
to them has to relate to the machines they have, the operating systems they are
using (or want to use), and the services they wish to provide.  So it has to
be more tailored.  He has asked that people from gnhlug and NEUUG help with
this training, and act as "Angels" (technical consultants) to schools who
wish to use UNIX and Linux in their networking.  I have invited Dr. Rothstein
to present for a few minutes at our meeting.

Thank you for your attention, and I hope to see you all Wednesday night at
1900.

Sincerely,

md
======================Directions to the meeting=============================

http://www.illuminata.com/directions.html

Illuminata's headquarters are located in Nashua, New Hampshire.

We occupy the third floor of the Market Exchange Building at 187 Main Street.
This building is better known as the home of Martha's Exchange, a popular
restaurant and micro-brewery. (For some reason, our clients visit our offices
far more often and far more enthusiastically since we co-located with Martha's.
Hmmm...)

Coming From The South (Massachusetts)

Take US Route 3, which is accessible from both the Route 128 and the I-495
beltways, north into New Hamphshire. Take Exit 5 and go East until you hit
Main Street. Take a left; go several blocks. Look for Martha's Exchange, a
large restaurant in a red-brick building on your left. You can generally park
on the street.

Coming From The North (Concord, NH)

Take I-93 South. When I-93 and the Everett Turnpike go separate ways, follow
the Turnpike. You will soon come into Manchester. Follow the directions below
for Manchester.

Coming From The North (Manchester, NH)

Whether you're coming from the Manchester Airport, from Route 101, or from
Concord down I-93, the trick is to take I-293 to the the Everett Turnpike,
then head South. Getting to I-293 is easy from Route 101, because they
are largely colinear in Manchester. From the Airport, take a Right at the exit.
Travel until you hit I-293, which you will take West, to the Left. Once you
are approaching Nashua, look for Exit 7 / Route 101A, which you will take
East. In a few minutes you will end up in downtown Nashua, where you will enter
an interection at an angle (you're on Amherst Street, about to turn onto Main).
At that intersection take a Right, which puts you on Main Street. Look for
Martha's Exchange in a red-brick building on your right.

Go to the third floor.

- --
Jon "maddog" Hall                     Internet: maddog at zk3.digital.com
Senior Leader, UNIX Software Group    Executive Director, Linux International

Digital Equipment Corporation         Linux International
Mailstop ZK03-2/U15                   80 Amherst St.
110 Spit Brook Rd.                    Amherst, N.H. 03031-3032 U.S.A.
Nashua, N.H. 03062-2698 U.S.A.

Voice: +1.603.881.1341                Voice: +1.603.672.4557
FAX:   +1.603.881.6059