more on PROM linux

I have not gotten any response from my previous
queries, but I shall try to rephrase my question
(about putting Linux in ROM and booting to RAMDISK).

So, at least to start, I am trying to figure
out how much of the BIOS Linux needs; I am thinking
of popping out the BIOS and having the system
make a jump to the kernel.

I think the BIOS starts at 0xfffff0 (FFFFF:0000?),
but I do not think that between "640K" and "1Meg", any chunk
is large enough to hold the kernel.  I guess I could
try "bank-switching" (window-moving?/page-select?)
scheme where I pull out the kernel in smaller pieces
and load it into "memory".
Has anyone tried this with linux?

Also, the BIOS  does things like power-on self test,
interrupt handling, initialization of the verious ports
and such.  How much of this do I need?

--
Robert Luoma    <luoma at capybara.pn.com>