Linux kernel 2.0 and lpd/lpr

Hi,

I just recently upgraded to Linux kernel 2.0, and after getting
various parts to finally work, it now appears that lpd or lpr is
broken.  I tried to recompile the binaries from the debian
distribution (lpr-5.9-11.tar.gz), but I am having the same problem.

Specifically, my Linux box is connected to an Apple LaserWriter 16/600
PS through my company's ethernet network.  My printcap entry looks
like this:

lp|apple laserwriter on ethernet:\
        :lp=:mx#0:rm=attila:\
        :rp=text:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/attila:\
        :lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs/ATTILA_ERRORLOG:

where attila is the name of the laser printer.  This used to work just
fine, but after switching to kernel 2.0, print jobs get spooled, and
netstat says something like

Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address		State
tcp        0   4114 meliorate.polaroid:1023 attila.polaroid:printer	ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 meliorate.polaroid:1022 optik.polaroid.com:22	ESTABLISHED

(sorry for the long lines).  But it just hangs there.  Even worse,
when I lprm the job, the printer just hangs there blinking.  By the
way, I am using gcc2.7.2, and libc 5.2.18.

Some of you might remember a similiar plea for help a few months ago
when I was trying out the 1.3.75(?) kernel.  I had exactly the same
problem.  I gave up after a while and went back to 1.2.13.  I guess
whatever was wrong was not fixed when they finally put out 2.0.
(Either something wrong with the kernel, or lpd).  In any case, I am
stuck without a printer right now.  Should I go back to 1.2.13?

Help!

Sidney Li
lih at polaroid.com