FWD:DEC 166MHZ ALPHA ONLY $999.95 (Only handful available)

This was posted on another list I subscribe to on June 12th.
------- Forwarded Message
From: bart at nmaa.org (Bart Casiello)
To: members at nmaa.org
Subject: DEC 166MHZ ALPHA ONLY $999.95 (Only handful available)

Dear Members,

Occasionally an opportunity comes along that is simply too good to pass up.
This is one
of them.  Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC)is blowing out there Multia model
VX-40A/F2
for an believable price and NMAA could not say no.  We puchased some extra
units and are
making them availble to members on a first come first serve basis.

DEC retailed this unit for $3,950.  The motherboard and chipset purchased
alone would
cost over $2000. NMAA has the entire computer for only $999.95!  We can not
quarantee
availablity so if you understand what an incredible deal this is call today.
You can't
get a decent Pentium for that price.

The VX-40A/F2 is not for the faint of heart.  It has a 166mhz 64-bit RISC
processor.  It
will NOT run windows 3.1 or Windows 95 operating systems.  You must install
either
Windows NT of Unix. It is PERFECT for 3D animation (that is what I plan to do
with mine),
Desktop Publishing, and web servers.  One DC company reportedly purchased
1,000 of these
systems (not through the NMAA).

In fact the NMAA plans to replace most if not all of our servers with these
units. Here
is what they include . . .

166mhz Alpha CPU
24MB of standard memory (70ns, 72 pin standard SIMM's)
High Performance PCI-based graphics accelerator
340MB hard disk
2 PCMCIA slots (Type 1 or 2 cards supported)
Autosensing PCI local bus Ethernet connections AUI, BNC, and RJ45
Kensington lock ready
CD audio quality input/output with built in speaker
PCI slot supports short card format
SCSI-2 connector
Floppy Drive
Two Button Mouse
30 RTF (Return To Factory) warranty

This is what you will need to buy...

Keyboard (That's the way DEC sells them, it is uses a standard keyboard)
Software (There is no operating system on the harddrive)
CD-ROM
Floppy Drive ( I am told the Floppy in these units have a 2.88MB and I do not
think they
can read standard floppies)

. . . .of course will need a monitor.

If you want to see a picture of the unit and some of its specs go to . . .

http://www2.service.digital.com/DECdirect/html/Multia-Enterprise-Client-Family.
html

(if you do not have Netscape 2.0 just cut and paste the above line into your
location
bar. You will never retype it correctly)

To order the DEC VX-40A/F2 for $999.95 (price dos not include tax or
shipping). Call the
office at 301-474-4107 TODAY!!! I would not wait because they will be gone in
less then a
week.

bart

The systems will be here in about 4 weeks but the orders MUST be PREPAID.

------- End of Forwarded Message

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at zk3.dec.com>