printing on Novell Network

Mark J. Dulcey wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 MJD> Lar is correct that NFS originated with Sun.  Novell offers a
 MJD> package  called NetWare NFS, which is an NFS implementation for
 MJD> NetWare servers;  it also includes LPR-compatible printing
 MJD> support.  NetWare NFS, however,  is optional at (substantial)
 MJD> extra cost, so it's not an appealing way to  bring just one or
 MJD> two Linux systems into a NetWare environment. The Linux-based
 MJD> products I mentioned in my previous response are probably  a
 MJD> better bet for that use.

This usually, in most practical installation, boils down to a political
question: Is it easier to change the clients or the servers?  If the network
had more than one or two Unix clients, then the network would almost certainly
already have support for Unix file and print services such as nfs and lpr, and
would probably already be running on TCP/IP.  However, if there is only one
Unix client, the network administrator probably does not want to invest extra
effort in supporting it, and certainly does not want to spend money.  For a
Novell NetWare installation, therefore, the Caldera Network Desktop is by far
the least intrusive solution from a political standpoint.

-- Mike