printing on Novell Network

On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Elizabeth Williams wrote:

> Forgive me for my ignorance.
>
> My officemate has a Linux machine and would like to print to the
> printers on our LAN. Does anyone know how she could do this?

The ncpfs package
(ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Filesystems/ncpfs/) can print to
NetWare queues.  Caldera Network Desktop includes a non-free package that
can also do it.

I have not personally tried either of the above packages (I have used
Caldera, but did not use the NetWare capabilities), so I can't vouch for
their effectiveness.

If the printer in question is an HP Laserjet 4 or later with a JetDirect
card, you don't need any of this; those printers can also be set up to
answer the Unix LPR protocol.  This may also be true of some other
LAN-capable printers.