Using various quad speed IDE CDROMs, e.g. Toshiba XM-540[12]Bs or

>From linux-sig-owner at bcs.org Thu Feb 15 09:00:40 1996
>Date: Thu, 15 Feb 96 17:59:00 -0000
>
>Andrew M. Simms wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:
>
> AMS> Linux doesn't seem to want to recognize the presense of my
> AMS> Toshiba XM-5402B, which is
> AMS> allegedly a standard ATAPI CDROM drive.  My AMI Bios from
> AMS> July 95 recognizes it as an ATAPI
> AMS> CDROM, but linux seems to just ignore it.  I am running
> AMS> redhat 2.1.   Is there something
> AMS> special about newer IDE CDROMs that needs to be done?
>
>Do you have it wired on the primary or secondary IDE channel?  Is the drive set
>as master or slave on its channel, and is there another drive on the same
>channel?  Linux is more particular than DOS about making sure all of the specs
>are observed.
>
>-- Mike

I have a CDROM on the 2nd IDE channel of my Micron Pentium - if there's
no CD in the drive the Linux system claims not to find a CD drive at boot -
but it can be mounted anyway.  And sometimes it claims not to find the drive
or the mount point on the first attempt to "mount /cdrom", but simply
repeating the mount command two or three more times and it mounts OK.

If there's a CD in the drive during boot, it always finds it and mounts it
automatically - although the fstab entry says "noauto".  Go figure...

Not perfection, not exactly comfortable - but it works, all the time!

Stan Zisk.