(Fwd) Linux 1.3.58 - CODE FREEZE for "Bachelor"

* Forwarded (from: Netmail) by Mike Bilow using BilowMail0.2.
* Original dated: Jan 22 '96, 07:58

Date:          Thu, 18 Jan 1996 11:06:39 +0200
From:          Linus Torvalds <Linus.Torvalds at cs.Helsinki.FI>
To:            linux-kernel at vger.rutgers.edu, linux-alpha at vger.rutgers.edu
Subject:       Linux 1.3.58 - CODE FREEZE for "Bachelor"

Ok, I just made 1.3.58 available, and I'm leaving for the US for two and
a half weeks.

This kernel is the code-freeze kernel for the upcoming "Bachelor"
release of linux (aka 2.0).  Bill Gates, eat your heart out ;-)

I don't expect 1.3.58 to be bug-free, but I _do_ hope that people will
look into it and use it and report bugs to the mailing lists.  As I've
asked to be removed from the mailing lists while I'm away, you should
also Cc any reports to me, but _please_ do that only after having
submitted to the mailing list and the mailing list being baffled too.  I
won't be able to do anything about it for a few weeks anyway, so it's no
use filling up my mailbox.

And, as everybody knows "code-freeze" doesn't actually mean that the
code won't change: it is more of a "feature freeze", and bugs will be
fixed.  But any patches I receive that aren't obvious bug-fixes will be
rejected.

Ok, enough administratrivia, here is the list of new stuff in 1.3.58:

 - "endmenu" in the config scripts to make it easier to parse.  Things
   that haven't needed it before can just ignore it.
 - module symbol cleanups: many symbols are removed from ksyms.c, and
   are instead made available from the places that actually define them
   (like SCSI, msdos etc).  Better modularity for modules..
 - updated IDE driver (cmd640 support is better separated etc)
 - updated mcdx and optcd drivers
 - updated SPM bios code
 - slight keyboard handling changes
 - PCI support for ne cards (sick)
 - new advansys SCSI driver
 - updated sound driver.  This will result in some warnings at "make
   dep" time, due to the incomplete integration of the kernel config
   stuff, but it's moving in that direction..
 - read-ahead code for the page cache.
 - ncpfs updates

Sunny California, here I come,

      Linus

___ uugate 0.34 (OS/2 2.30)
 - Origin: N1BEE BBS +1 401 944 8498 n1bee-bbs.bilow.uu.ids.net (1:323/107.107)