Must use MS-word. Help!.

> I just took a new job at a company which uses Microsoft Word as the
> standard text tool.   I would love to put Linux on
> my machine there but it is imperative that I can manipulate documents in
> whatever format MSword uses.

There are several answers to your question.  On the WWW at
    http://lenti.med.umn.edu/rtftohtml/rtftohtml_overview.html
you will find a discussion of Rich Text Format, which says:
"RTF was designed by Microsoft as an open format for interchanging documents
between Microsoft Word and other word processing packages. It is supported
by WordPerfect, FrameMaker, Interleaf and many other packages on UNIX,
Apple, Macintosh, Next, and PC platforms. The specification for RTF and a
set of filters for translating RTF to plain-text, troff and Tex and LaTex
are available at: ftp://ftp.primate.wisc.edu/pub/RTF.";

(There also exist programs to translate latex to RTF.)

Next, you might want to review the products listed in the Linux Applications
and Utilities Page on the WWW at

    http://www.xnet.com/~blatura/linapps.shtml

In particular, a program called Executor provides Mac emulation and
purports to run Word.  I've attached its description below.

Good luck,
Susan Kleinmann
sgk at sgk.tiac.net

Executor
Commercial Macintosh Emulator. Fast CPU Emulation (75 MHz 486DX4 approximates
25 MHz 68040). Allows many Macintosh applications, including Word 5 and
Excel 4 to run without requiring anything from Apple. Reads, Writes and
Formats 1.4 MB Macintosh formatted floppies. Reads and Writes SCSI Macintosh
disks. Reads Macintosh formatted CD-ROMs. Color support, Prints to PostScript
printers. Has demo applications so you can run it with no Macintosh
experience.

Distribution Media:
electronic now, CD-ROM when 2.0 ships

Licensing Policy:
Executor for Linux can be found in ftp://ftp.ardi.com/pub/ExecutorLinux/ .
It has a ten minute time limit that can be removed via a serial number and
authorization key. There are enough incompatibilities that potential
customers are strongly encouraged to examine the Executor in its
time limited demo form before ordering. However, we offer a 30 day
unconditional money back guarantee.

OS Provisions:
Is known to work with kernel 1.2.0. Standard distribution takes about
7 MB. Needs 8 MB of its own RAM to run quickly. The demo version is
dynamically linked with the XFree86 3.1 libraries and with libc/libm-4.5.26.

Documentation:
English FAQ .

Product Support:
Free upgrades to licensees of 1.99<x>, up to and including the first
official release of Executor for Linux: Executor/Linux 2.0.

Linux Support:
questions at ardi.com

Available Since:
Has been in pre-beta since March of 1995. Is expected to be officially released in November of 1995.

Countries with Distribution:
Current pre-beta releases are available only directly from us. Within
six months of 2.0's release we will probably have distribution worldwide.

Price Range:
Pre-beta copies are available for USD49 for students, faculty and staff
of educational institutions, USD99 for everyone else. These prices are good
at least until September 15. Somtime soon thereafter the suggested retail
price for the non-educational license will be USD249. The educational price
will rise significantly, also.

Installed Base:
129 Linux users as of August 12, 1995. Many more DOS and NEXTSTEP users.

Vendor:
    ARDI
    Suite 4-101
    1650 University Blvd., NE