Linux as mail server

I need to get MS Mail clients connected to a Linux mail server.
It seems that there are multiple versions of MS Mail.  I have
a license for it that was included with MS Office Professional,
but no software.  It seems the software is included with the
NT mail server which I do not have, but hey, I _do_ have the client
license.  I'd just prefer to use Linux as the server.  I know
the mail software included with Win95 supports POP3, but what
about regular WfW MS Mail?  If not, maybe Linux could support some
other protocol?

Also, it seems odd to have a license but no software.  The instructions
say that the client software is automatically downloaded from the server
when needed.  I do not wish to get the BackOffice server.  This looks
a bit like a scam: "You bought the client _license_, and now you have
to buy the server to get the client _software_".  Excuse me?

Unfortunatly, Eudora is just not good enough.  I really need to
provide service to WfW clients from a Linux box.  Is it possible?