two ethernet cards in a linux box

I do Unix drivers for a living (among other things).  I've had my "faint of
heart" genes surgically removed.  I read the howto.  I tried entering
several different commands lines.  I'm one of those people who hit others
over the head with a big bat labelled RTFM so I'm actually fairly paranoid
about doing that myself first.  I was not able to do it, and got to the
point of deciding that touching the code was the least-outrageous thing to
do to get it working.

I think the moral of the story is that the faint of heart should stick to
one interface.

P.S. in my experience other Unices have similar levels of excitement when
you go to complex configurations so I do NOT consider this a fault of the
Linux implementors.

                       Rodney Thayer           ::    rodney at sabletech.com
                       Sable Technology Corp   ::         +1 617 332 7292
                       246 Walnut St           ::    Fax: +1 617 332 7970
                       Newton MA 02160 USA     ::    PGP:    request sig.
                              "Developers of communications software"