two ethernet cards in a linux box

> I use TWO NE-2000 clone cards.  I configure the first at i/o 300 irq 5, and
> the second at i/o 340 irq 14.

Linux is currently designed to only check for one particular card.  If
you had two _different_ ethernet cards, Linux would find them via
autoprobe, without a problem.  E.g., if you had an NE2000 and a 3c509,
Linux would find both cards.

You needed to make modifications because you have two of the same
card, and the current ethernet drivers aren't made to probe for more
than one card.  This might be considered a bug, by some. ;)

-derek