Which kernel to upgrade to?

On Wed, 18 Oct 1995, cjs wrote:

> > My questions for upgrading are,
> >
> > 1. Which kernel version(stable) should I upgrade to?
>
> Either 1.2.13 or 1.3.32. Do *NOT* try to use kernel 1.3.33+ for the
> moment as they broke everything while doing an overhaul of the driver
> stuff.

1.3.33 was completely broken; many choices of configuration would cause
it not to build at all.  I'm currently running 1.3.35, which seems to
have fixed those problems.

> > 2. Do I need to get the ppp code and compile it seperately or is it
> > part of the kernel?
>
> You should probably obtain and compile the latest and greatest
> pppd. But don't apply any of the kernel patches unless you know
> EXACTLY what they do. Lots of those patches are legacies meants for
> earlier kerlen versions and they really screw things up if you apply
> them to something new.

If you use pppd 2.2.0, you MUST install the kernel patches.  It won't
work with the old kernel code.  Kernels 1.3.33 and later include the new
ppp code, so pppd 2.1.2d won't work with them.