Which kernel to upgrade to?

chitturi at dns1.state.mi.us writes:

>1. Which kernel version(stable) should I upgrade to?

The latest kernel version which Linus has labeled "stable" is 1.2.13.

>2. Do I need to get the ppp code and compile it seperately or is it
>part of the kernel?

It's part of the standard kernel.  Just ask for it when you go through
the configuration dialog.

>3. At tsx-11 and sunsite, I saw the source directory has
>LINUX-1.3.33-IS-THE-LATEST.

1.3.xx are developmental kernels - since you're updating infrequently,
and don't need specific capabilities that are only in the newer
kernels, you're probably better off with 1.2.13.

>This directory has a compressed source
>file and a patch files. Almost all the kernel version have a source
>file and a patch file. Should I get both these files and untar them in
>the same directory before compiling them?

Each patch file is relative to the previous source tree.  If you had
the sources for 1.3.32, you could apply the patch file for 1.3.33, and
get the 1.3.33 version of the source files.  Since you have only an
old version of the kernel sources, it's easier for you to just get the
kernel source file and forget about the patch files.

Then, of course, read all the README files at the top level of the
source distribution.

                             - Jim Van Zandt