LINUX will not install right on WD 516MB HD?

I am trying to install LINUX onto a Western Digital 516MB
IDE drive (2nd drive in a two drive system).  I am using the
InfoMagic 1.2.1 set.  I have successfully installed the
version on another machine with a 1.2GB WD drive with no
trouble at all.  The install onto the 516MB drive appears
to go on fine.  However, upon rebooting and
logging in as root, it says that I have errors in the
filesystem /dev/hdb1 -- where I installed linux.  The drive
has 1048 cyl, 16 heads & 63 sectors.  I have gone into
fdisk to define the partitions and used the fdisk cmos
stuff to tell the install that I am using 524 cyls, 32 heads
and 63 sectors.  BTW, I also tried not doing the fdisk cmos
stuff and get the same bad install.

I have done the install 5 times with the same bad result.
I can use the drive to install WARP partitions and software
just fine.  Is there something peculiar with this drive
and LINUX?  It can't be me! :)

Any help will be appreciated.

Jim

Jim
jim at sherwood.mv.com
jas at enterprise.uml.edu
                for HELP in reading this e-mail, press Ctrl-Alt-Del