Autochanger/Backups on Unix

Hi Adrian,

	I use the Exabyte-210 Auto-tape-loader with a 8505 Drive,
and have been for about 2 years. Works like a champ to backup about
75 GByte network. For software I use Amanda from ther University of
Maryland. The is a ftp site there and a lot of users of this package.
You may find it a little hard to configure the first time depending
on your experience.

ahall at xionics.com writes:
 > I think I have finally gone mad, having gone through 10 different
 > backup vendors for a solution that works.  If anyone can help me,
 > please let me know.
 >
 > 	I have an Exabyte 210 Auto-tape-loader with a single Exabyte
 > 	8500 Tape Drive (8mm).  I need to back up 50 Unix hosts with
 > 	a combined disk storage of over 100GB on them.  The question
 > 	is how?
 >
 > Cheyenne Arcserve	Crashes my systems
 > Arcada Backup Exec	Doesnt do incrementals
 > EST's BRU		May or may not handle the autochanger properly
 > ctar			May or may not handle the autochanger properly
 > Alexandria		Never heard of anyone using this
 > Palindrome		NOVELL!!!!
 > Roadrunner		Dubious autochanger support
 > PDC Budtool		Possibility
 > Legato			Expensive!
 >
 > 	I have a PC (which I can put *anything* on) with which to do this.
 > If you have any ideas, please let me know.
 > --
 > Adrian Hall					70 Blanchard Road
 > Systems and Networks Consulting Manager		Burlington, MA 01803
 > Email: ahall at xionics.com			Tel: (617) 229-7062

| Ray Curtis			    | e-mail: ray at ctd.comsat.com        |
| Comsat Labs-CTD                   | Fax: (301)428-4534                |
| Clarksburg, Md                    | Voice: (301)428-5025              |
| 20871                             | Web: http://www.comsat.com |