Linux as mail server

What do I need to support email?  I've heard sendmail is
_really_ hard to configure, and I think I will need a POP daemon.

What should happen: Once an hour, the Linux server dials up the ISP.
The connection uses PPP or SLIP with a static IP address.  After the
connection is established, the Linux box requests mail by fingering
an address.  Mail is transferred via SMTP (I can also use UUCP).

Users connect to the local server with Windows TCP/IP.  They use some
protocol (POP?) to get mail into a Windows mailer.  (Which would be ???)

I think this is pretty standard, anything I should know?