NFS: Port Mapper Failure

Jim (jim at sherwood.mv.com) wrote:

> I am trying to NFS to export filesystems.  I have been able to mount
> filesystems exported from an AIX machine to the LINUX machine with no
> trouble.  However, in trying to get the LINUX portmapper started and
> export LINUX file stsems, I get the following message:
> Starting daemons: syslogd klogd/etc/rc.d/rc.inet2: Start: command not
                                                     ^^^^^
> found
>  portmap inetd lpd mountd nfsd pcnfsd bwnfsdclntudp_create: RPC: Port
> mapper failure - RPC: Unable to send

The problem is the comment line in Jim's rc.inetd2 which is missing
the "#" character.  In other words, the init thinks that the line

	Start the SUN RPC Portmapper.

is a command, and is complaining that it can't find the command
"Start".  Just add a "#" at the beginning of the line to fix it.

> I would appreciate any help.  Thanks,  Jim
>
> my rc.inetd2 file is:

> #! /bin/sh
> #

.... (intermediate stuff deleted) ......

> fi
>
> Start the SUN RPC Portmapper.
  ^^^^^
> if [ -f ${NET}/rpc.portmap ]