[2nd try] can linux route mail?

[since almost a day has passed with no reply,
I am trying a 2nd time just in case the 1st one
passed through the email cracks]

I realize that this must be a standard question,
but I am having trouble finding the answer...

I need to set a linux machine to route mail to
a machine which cannot do so; i.e. I need to
make the linux machine a "smart host" (I think)
for one that is dumb; both are on the internet,
but I need to make sure that the dumb one never
gets mail directly (I assume that DNS MX records
can handle this).
So, to rephrase things, the dumb machine will
send all its mail the the smart linux machine,
which will in turn send the packages out over
the internet; now come the tricky part.
The internet will send mail to some "mail" address,
and this will be somehow send to the smart linux host,
which will in turn feed dumb machine.  On top of
all this, the smart linux machine should be able
to handle its own email independently.

>From reading the ORA "bat" book, I feel that
the V8 sendmail should be capable of all this
in combination with the apropriate bind entries.

But how?
Has anyone done this?
I could use pointers to the apropriate documentation.

Thanks.

--
Robert Luoma    <luoma at capybara.pn.com>