shore.net ppp

> Does anyone have a ppp connection to shore.net?  I need scripts,
> DNS config info, etc.  I am not really sure if I should be running
> named and friends.  Pointers to web browsers are also appreciated.

Hi.  I run this script to connect, with the password set to be my
real password.  It's the same password used for you shell account I
think.  At least it is for me.

/usr/sbin/pppd -d /dev/modem defaultroute connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v "" ATDT5934557 CONNECT "" ogin: Pbwhite assword: XXXXXXX' netmask 255.255.255.0 38400

This sets the default route to be your ppp connection, so you don't
have to screw around with /etc/anything, or with named or anything like
that.  The North Shore machine does everything for you.

The pppd program leaves its pid in /var/run/pppd.0, or something like
that.  If you make a shell script with the lines:

#!/bin/sh
kill -INT `cat /var/run/ppp0.pid`

it will kill the ppt program, and disconnect you.

I had to compile both pppd and chat to make this work, although it is
possible that the newer Linux distributions work out of the box.  I still
haven't gotten the dial-on-demand version of ppp to work.  It dials and
connects, but just hangs there.  If you get information on how to make
this work, let me know.

Hope this helps.