QIC tape drives

On Wed, 9 Aug 1995, Chuck Noyes wrote:

> Hi everyone...
>
> Does anyone know if the QIC-117 support in Linux (Slakware) will
> drive a QIC-150 scsi tape drive?  If not, what scsi tape driver
> should I specify in 'make config' to get the QIC-150 support?
>
> Thanks....Chuck

I have used a Conner C2525S (Archive VIPER) QIC-150 compatible cartridge
tape drive with both slackware and SLS distributions of Linux. The drive
is interfaced with an Adaptec 1542 SCSI card. The 1/4 inch cartridge
tapes that I have made with the standard tar (gnu) utilities are
compatible with SUN work stations. I have also used the drive with an
ASPI gnu tar utility in DOS with equally good results.

When I installed the drive the standard SCSI drivers in the release were
sufficient.

It is important that you boot Linux with the tape drive on, otherwise the
sysstem will not know about it. When using the tar utility the tape drive
on my system is identified as /dev/rmt0.

Barry Bass