Help with installing Linux

I am haveing a problem installing Linux to my system and am looking
for help. Here is what I have a 486DX4-75, 8meg RAM, 1.2gig conner
HD. I have had Linux on this computer before when I was running a 170
HD with a onboard controller card. Whit the installing my new HD I
had to have a controller card with the on-board BIOS. It is a GSI
card for an ISA bus. From what I understand granted this could be
totally wrong linux takes some of the computer setting from the CMOS
setting well the problem is that I have to disable the onboard
controller using the BIOS. So boot linux up by the way it will only
boot if I warmboot after DOS has booted up other wise it will reboot
and reboot until I stop it. But when I I get to my root disk and
everything I go to run fdisk and make my linux partition a native
linux partition and that is when fdsik goes crazy and says that it
can't find my HD. So if any one else has this problem or knows a way
around this problem could you please help me out so.
                                                          Chris