Watching bootup messages

> > An undocumented (at least in the HOWTOs, but documented supposedly in the
> > code, and pointed out by Linus when we spoke at MIT) was the ability to
> > get special info via CNTL-Printscreen, ALT-Printscreen, and
> > Shift-Printscreen.   (At least I think it was the Printscreen key he used).
> >
> > This worked fine on the Alpha demo'd at his talk, but only shows up in the
> > /var/adm/messages file on my 386.
> >
> > Is there any way to get this info redirected to 'normal' output? (i.e.
> > /dev/console)?
>
> Messages like this have a priority number.  Low priority messages on your
> system only go into logfiles.  Check klogd/syslogd, you can change the
> cutoff point for /dev/console priority, or maybe just kill some daemons :)

Thanks.  This is progress for me.

Next, I see both when doing a 'ps aux', but how do I know what priority
they are running at?  Also, what might be generally a good priority range
for console messages (such as what I want to do)?

I tried a man -k on priority, which did come up with nice and renice,
along with set and getpriority.  Doing a man on these showed them as used
in C.  I assume there is an easier way to check the priority of a process
though a simple command.

Scott Ehrlich, E-mail: wy1z at neu.edu, Web: http://lynx.neu.edu:8000/~sehrlich
Boston ARC ftp archives: ftp oak.oakland.edu /pub/hamradio
Boston ARC Web page: http://www.acs.oakland.edu/barc.html
ARRL Web page: http://www.acs.oakland.edu/barc/arrl.html