[HELP] ZMAGIC vs QMAGIC

I'm running Slackware (latest version) on a 386DX with 4 Meg RAM.

Whenever I've FTPed a precompiled program (such as Netscape or Mosaic)
and try to run it, I get an error "Incompatible System Type.  Wrong
Architecture." or something very similar.  When I've done a 'file <whatever>'
it comes back as "Linux/i386 demand-paged executable (ZMAGIC)"

But, if I compile a program on my own, and it runs, and I do a 'file', I get
"Linux/i386 demand-paged executable (QMAGIC) not stripped."

What are ZMAGIC and QMAGIC?  What is stripping?

Is there any way to convert the precompiled programs to the QMAGIC/not stripped
format so they can work on my PC?

Thanks for any help.

Scott Ehrlich, E-mail: wy1z at neu.edu, Web: http://lynx.neu.edu:8000/~sehrlich
Boston ARC ftp archives: ftp oak.oakland.edu /pub/hamradio
Boston ARC Web page: http://www.acs.oakland.edu/barc.html
ARRL Web page: http://www.acs.oakland.edu/barc/arrl.html