ideas for linux/unix sig activities

>> a couple of ideas I'd like to toss for discussion -
>>
>> what about a BCS LINUX/UNIX CD-ROM?  Or, a BCS CD-ROM done jointly by several
>> groups?  I believe they are not that costly to 'publish' these days and it
>> would be a nice fund-raiser...

We've discussed this in the past. The two primary issues raised:

1. Adding value. Why would someone want to buy our CDROM, as opposed
   to, for example, the InfoMagic 4-CD set that's available for nine bucks
   at Micro Center?

2. Volunteers. At present, we don't have any volunteers to do this.

If we get a large influx of new volunteers, then maybe we'll be able
to do something. We should plan on discussing this at the May 24 meeting.

>> also, what about a LINUX/UNIX Sig T-Shirt?  It's springtime in New England
>> (meaning I only froze less than 80% of this past weekend) so it's T-Shirt
>> weather! You could sell some and keep some on hand for give-away's for
>> meetings... (and to speakers...)
>>
>>                        Rodney Thayer           ::    rodney at sabletech.com
>>                        Sable Technology Corp   ::         +1 617 332 7292
>>                        246 Walnut St           ::    Fax: +1 617 332 7970
>>                        Newton MA 02160 USA     ::    PGP:    request sig.
>>                               "Developers of communications software"

We will be producing a T shirt soon. We can't sell them at MIT; MIT
has had difficulties in the past with their tax status, as a direct
result of activities of a BCS user group. Because of this, MIT's
policy is that money *cannot* change hands on their property, at least
so far as BCS meetings are concerned. We can take orders, but we cannot
take money at the meeting. So we put the T shirts on hold until after
the meeting.

A couple of us have been preparing a design for a Linux Group T shirt,
and maybe a few other things like mugs, pens, or whatever. Other members
are welcome to participate in the process. Once we've settled on a
design, we'll see who wants to chip in and get a shirt.

John Abreau / Director, BCS Linux & Unix User Group / jabr at bcs.org
The Boston Computer Society / 101 First Avenue, Suite 2 / Waltham, MA 02154
Voice +1 617 290 5700 / Fax +1 617 290 5744 / http://www.bcs.org