XFree

>Hi there all. I'm trying to figure out what is going on with the
>system I have. It is a Zeos 486, 8M, HD, SVGA, running 1.1.89.
>
>The problem I'm having is when I bring up X I get vertical lines
>drawn on the whole screen. In addition if I move the mouse it
>will leave traces of where it was on the screen. I can do a screen
>refresh to clear it up. The screen will clear up but with the vertical
>lines still on the screen. I can toggle between the different screen
>sizes without any problem. i.e ctrl-alt-+.
>
>Anybody have any ideas? Not enough memory? on the system/video card (1M)?

Are you sure you are running XF86_SVGA?  I have seen this running XF86_S3
on a #9 GXE.  Suppling `options "non-linear"' in Xconfig seemed to solve the
problem.  Do a
	$ man XF86_SVGA
to get the `options' for the X driver you are running.  These are specific
extentions for each driver.  The non-linear keyword or some such specifies
to slow down memory access.

You should find out what video card you have (chipset), what monitor you
have, get the XFree distribution, and look up in `Devices' and `Monitors'
for the correct configuration information.
I don`t think that memory speed should be an issue unless you are running
a card that has an accelerated chipset.

		Dan Demus
		dan at palette.com
		(617)327-2641