Linux Unix Group

Richard Royston wrote:
> I am not sure if there are ways in which one becomes formally involved with
> the group, nor how it is organized, nor who the officers are, but I do feel
> very strongly on this issue, and I hope the group can give (appropriate, no
> more) weight to my views.

To help shape the future of the group, one can:

  - Help with the online outreach (web services, newsgroups, mailing lists,
     postings in related areas) by doing some of the writing and collection
     of useful tidbits
  - Do outreach in the traditional media (newspapers, TV, radio)
  - Come to the monthly organizing meetings (the Wednesday before the
     public meeting) in Back Bay
  - Participate in this mailing list
  - Help recruit members to the BCS under the group code ULX
  - Organize special events and speaking engagements
  - Arrange discount programs with BCS-supportive service, software, and
     equipment vendors
  - Get the group involved in beta-test programs
  - Speak on behalf of BCS at meetings of other groups whose members want
     to learn about Unix/Linux/Gnu/X/Internet/etc
  - Participate in those BCS working committees which determine how the
     group's resources are allocated
  - Install Linux/FreeBSD/etc software setups at local non-profit organiza-
     tions, schools, libraries, government offices and businesses
  - Gather an archive of useful *n*x information and software utilities
     for the benefit of BCS user group members

She who contributes the most constructively to the group is usually the
person whose weight counts the most.

-rich