SCSI errors while installing Slackware

The problem is that a "kernal panic" message appears, and that message
means that the kernel has abandoned the boot process.

I have had a similar problem, which in earlier versions of Slackware
resulted from a miss-identification of components, particularly, the
presence of an ATI Stereo FX sound card. It missidentified the sound
card with a more popular brand which has a SCSI controller, (the ATI
does not have a SCSI port) and, as a result, the additional "SCSI port"
did not respond.

I had to remove the ATI sound card, install, and recompile, before
reinstalling the sound card.

At present, the 1.1.73 kernel version of SCSI and SCSI net is somehow
not able to mount my CD-ROM -- I believe it is claiming that I  now have
a buslogic SCSI in addition to my Adaptek 1542B controller.

Any suggestions?

C.Hein