Problem...

>It could be a thousand different things; you made a noble effort to
>give us the diagnostics from your system, but they are inconclusive
>[what happens when it bails during the install?].

  Sorry, I guess I'm just trying to narrow it down right now. Basically, my
machine just hangs. It will hang during the install or even when I leave it in
root mode before I initiate the install. When it hangs, the machine is totally
dead. It doesn't respond to anything. If it dies during the install, the a: drive
from which it was reading will just spin until I decide to reboot the machine.
I'm fairly convinced that it doesn't like kernels above 1.0.9.

>It sounds like either your /dev/hdb partition table was improperly
>written to the disk [reformat it, there's nothing on it- right?], or
>the kernel is pointed toward /dev/hda as your root device.

  I've formatted the drive several times. This includes doing extended
checking for bad blocks. Hmm...how can I tell my bootdisk to use /dev/hdb
as my root device?

 -ray