I was wondering if anyone is using a 1GB SCSI drive

On Tue, 27 Sep 1994, Jerry Feldman, ZKO3-3/Y25, DTN:381-2970 wrote:

> Date: Tue, 27 Sep 94 18:02:21 -0400
> From: Jerry Feldman, ZKO3-3/Y25, DTN:381-2970 <gaf at zk3.dec.com>
> To: linux-sig at bcs.org
> Subject: I was wondering if anyone is using a 1GB SCSI drive
>
> I am planning to add a 1GB SCSI drive onto my Adaptec 1542 controller, and I
> was wondering if anyone on the mailing list has had any experiences with the
> large drives.
>
> I plan to partition it with about 500MB for Linux, and the rest into a couple
> of FAT or NT partitions.

 I currently have two 1.05Gb drive attached to my Linux box. One is a Seagate
 ST14400N and the other is a Micripolis 4110. Both are attached through an
 Adaptec 1542CF bus-mastering controller. All configurations work flawlessly.
 The only problems I've encountered have been with drives > 1024 cylinders
 such as the Micropolis 1.7Gb w/1685 cylinders. In this case, the Linux root
 partition must reside completely below the 1024 boundary.

 Have fun installing NT; it likes to play with the partition table in evil
 ways. If you're working in a multi-boot environment with DOS, NT, and Linux,
 be sure DOS was the last OS booted before booting into Linux if you intend
 to muck with the partition table; if not, you may get undesirable results.

 -- -  Stewart Allen * stewart at oec.com * 617.562.5826 * FAX 617.562.0038  - --
         M.I.S. Manager * Open Environment Corporation * 617.562.0900
                       25 Travis St * Boston, Ma * 02134
 -- - -- - -- - -- "That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"  -- - -- - -- - --