[Q] dialin to linux how?

I am trying to set up a linux box for dial-in from
the outside world; I am using an external modem
on COM2 (/dev/ttyS1 [I  think]).

When I dial in, well, nothing much happens.
In the Serial HOWTO, there is a mention of using DEBUG=777
with the uuugetty (version 2.0.7d) program,
so I tried that and got the enigmatic:
   uugetty[179]: D_RUN: signal set: funcs.c:495
   uugetty[179]: D_RUN: alarm set: funcs.c:496
   uugetty[179]: D_INIT: [timed out after 30 seconds]
   uugetty[179]: D_RUN: signal set: funcs.c:491
   uugetty[179]: D_INIT: init failed... aborting
huh?

Dialing out is as easy as falling off a log (maybe easier ;-),
but this dial-in business has me stumped.

I hope that someone out there has successfully set-up
a linux box for dial-in; I would greatly appreciate
details on how people successful got their machines
to answer the phone.

Thanks.

--
robert j luoma     <luoma at binah.cc.brandeis.edu>